St. Patrick's Day

There is a feeling I get on St. Patrick's Day that I have never been able to make sit still and reveal itself. Because I am not a reveller. I don't make a point of wearing green and I don't line up to get into an Irish-themed chapels with friends and people I have just met. With those bright, imbibing bands I have no claim to be.

104 St
I don't tip this way and that walking with a friend along a sloshy pathway, turning to address an approaching bicycle rider and gesturing as if moving my hands through water, and saying, just a little too loud and just a little too slow, that it's St. Patrick's Day and why can't we all get along!

Railtown

And I don't walk uphill along a flat intersection wearing a green leprechaun hat and sporting some kind of green colour in my moustache while I flash an okay sign to traffic letting me pass.

118 St
But, and here is the point about not quite understanding St. Patrick's Day, I feel a kind of warmth as I ride into and through these scenes. Like the tingle of a first sip of beer that goes right by my stomach and swirls for a couple of seconds behind my knees. Like knowing the monks are out there somewhere praying for us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Grid

My Strange, Wonderful, Wonderful, Strange Bike Ride Home Today

Well red!